Owner: Electrical problem started Blaney Lodge fire

BLANEY PARK, Mich. (WLUC) - UPDATE:
Firefighters are still clearing debris after fire destroyed the historic Blaney Park Lodge.

"It's really hard to see part of your home that you've been here for 18 years catch on fire and go," said Scott Barr, who owns Blaney Park Antiques, also located on M-77.

Built in 1895, the Historic Blaney Park Lodge was destroyed by fire around 3 p.m. on Friday, October 11. Fire departments battled the fire for more than 12 hours.

"Tons of people have history here so it's a part of a lot of people's lives," said Barr.

"It's a devastation to the community, I've had a lot of people tell me stories, reach out to me on Facebook about what they've seen or what they experienced at the lodge there," said Andy Marek, who witnessed the blaze.

The lodge's owner, Anita, bought the property in 2017. She says crews believe electrical wiring may be the cause of the fire and says the charcoal in the basement is the reason for the smoke that still lingers.

Barr, who's lived in Blaney Park for 18 years, says the lodge has become a part of what the town stands for.

"The town just kind of tugs at you and becomes a part of you," said Barr.

According to Anita the building does not have insurance. She says over the weekend of October 7, they had begun closing up for the season and no one was inside the building when the fire broke out. No injuries have been reported.

One nearby cabin sustained damage from the fire. Marek, who witnessed the fire, watched for two hours as the flames took the building over.

"It's a sad sad day for the community, but I think it's a blessing in disguise that only that building got damaged," said Marek.

Anita says she does have plans to rebuild once she is able to make sense of the damage.

TV6 & FOX UP will continue to have updates on this story as they become available.

---------------

The remains of the Blaney Lodge are still smoldering Friday afternoon, a day after a fire destroyed the historic structure on M-77.

The owner of the lodge says she believes an electrical problem started the fire. No one was inside the lodge, she said, because they had closed it up for the season earlier in the week. No injuries were reported.

She would like to rebuild the lodge eventually, but said the fire damage is not covered by insurance.

The lodge, which operates as a seasonal bed and breakfast, is part of the early 1900s Blaney Park Resort.

Watch your TV6 Early News for a full report from TV6's Julie Williams.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus