Bowling Green steals Game 1 Friday

By  | 

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (WLUC) – The Michigan Tech hockey team fell 3-2 at No. 15 Bowling Green Friday (March 8) in Game 1 of a best-of-three WCHA first round playoff series. The Falcons scored their three goals in the third period with two being scored on the power play.

"Our guys played hard tonight," Tech coach Joe Shawhan said. "I give Bowling Green credit for taking advantage of the opportunities they had in the third period. Matt Jurusik was absolutely tremendous tonight and gave us a chance. We just have to be able to play through calls not going our way. Penalties played a huge factor in the game."

Raymond Brice opened scoring 6:56 after puck drop when he jammed in a loose puck in the crease for his third goal of the season. Tommy Parrottino and Greyson Reitmeier assisted on the goal.

Alec Broetzman made it 2-0 Huskies with a shorthanded goal 18:18 into the second period moments after the Falcons hit the crossbar behind Jurusik. Broetzman caught a pass from Reitmeier and skated it across center ice before firing a wrist shot top corner for the eighth goal of his freshman season.

In the third period, the Falcons got on the board 12 seconds into a power play at the 11:55 mark on a one-timer from Connor Ford. Alex Barber and Max Johnson assisted.

BGSU (22-9-5) tied it up 15 seconds later on a long shot that was tipped by Frederic Letourneau. Adam Smith and Chris Pohlkamp were credited with the assists.

Max Johnson scored the game-winner at the 13:41 mark on the power play again on a cross-ice one-timer. Ford and Brandon Kruse assisted.

Tech (14-19-4) goaltender Matt Jurusik was spectacular all night long, piling up a season-high 38 saves. He stopped 12 shots in the first, 19 in the second, and seven in the third. Ryan Bednard had 23 saves for the home team.

The two teams combined for 48 penalty minutes on 17 calls. Tech was 0-for-3 on the power play and 2-for-4 on the penalty kill. Each team was called for a 5:00 major.

Game 2 will be Saturday (March 9) at 7:07 p.m. back at the Slater Family Ice Arena.