MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - The #18/RV Northern Michigan University Wildcat hockey program (7-3-2, 5-1-0-0 WCHA) fell to the RV/UR Nanooks of Alaska (7-7-0, 5-3-0-0 WCHA) Saturday night, 3-2, for the weekend split.
The Nanooks jumped out to an early lead with two goals in the first period but the Wildcats were able to answer during the second to knot the game at two. Alaska would tally the game winner at 10:07 of the middle period for the 3-2 final.
Ty Readman would net his first power play goal of the season and the Wildcats improved to a 28.1 percent success rate with the man advantage, ranking them sixth in the nation.
• On a two-on-one rush, Caleb Schroer fed the puck across to Ben Newhouse at 2:44 of the middle period who buried it deep to put the Wildcats on the board and cut Alaska's lead in half. His first as a Wildcat, Newhouse was assisted by Schroer and Garrett Klee.
• Ty Readman evened things out shortly after, finding the back of the net on the power play with 6:07 gone in the second frame. From the slot, Readman sent the puck flying past Nanooks' net minder Martinsson. Darien Craighead and Philip Beaulieu were credited with the assists on the play.
• The Wildcats were 1/5 on the power play while remaining perfect on the penalty kill, stopping all shots on three kills, including a major to end the first period.
• The sixth-ranked power play unit continued its success with a goal in the second period and now boast a 28.1 percent success rate, as well as notching at least one in each of their last six games.
• Ben Newhouse netted his first goal in a Wildcat jersey to put NMU on the board Saturday evening. The junior defenseman now boasts six points on the season (1-5-6).
• Averaging 3.58 goals per game, the Wildcats rank 12th in the nation in scoring offense with 43 goals through 12 games played.
The Wildcats return to action on Friday as they head to Houghton, Michigan for the first game of a home-and-home series against rival Michigan Tech. The two teams square off on November 22 at MacInnes Student Ice Arena before making the trek back to Marquette for a Saturday evening matchup.