UPDATE: Cause of fire in Marquette storage garages still undetermined

Published: Feb. 28, 2019 at 1:37 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE at 9:15 a.m. Friday:

The investigation continued Friday into what caused the fire that destroyed two storage garages early Thursday on the north side of Marquette.

Marquette City Firefighters were called back to the scene twice Friday morning to put out hot spots.

Fire crews say there are still parts of the garage under the collapsed roof that they haven't been able to reach so they continue to put foam and water on the building.

A Michigan State Police fire marshal is expected at the scene later Friday. His investigation will include using a drone to get views of the building from above.

Fire crews say no cause has been determined, and there is no estimate yet of the damage cost.

The fire reportedly started inside one of the garages around midnight Thursday at the corner of Presque Isle Ave. and Hawley St. No one was injured, but everything stored in the garages is a total loss.


UPDATE at 3:00 p.m. Thursday:

Two storage garages on Marquette’s north side are a total loss Thursday, along with everything inside.

A major fire burned through the night. Marquette city firefighters say they were called to the corner of Presque Isle Avenue and Hawley Street around midnight, for the report of a vehicle on fire in a garage.

No one was injured but the fire destroyed a small business and more.

The buildings held things like vintage cars, snowmobiles, boats, an RV, and Marquette’s Superior Mobile Koney food truck.

"I stood there for hours just standing in front of that garage watching it burn down and just watching my whole life just kind of burn down with it," said Michael Grant, owner of Superior Mobile Koney.

Grant has been cooking his entire life. Owning a food truck was something he always wanted to do. After four years of serving the Marquette area, a massive fire burned Grant's business.

"Last night when I was first outside the fire, I posted a picture of it and told everyone that was that, 'There goes Superior Mobile Koney' and I woke up this morning and I was completely shocked by what people were saying,” said Grant, ”I didn't know people care so much."

Firefighters were at the scene past sunrise, battling the fire in frigid temperatures.

Capt. Greg Guertin of the Marquette City Fire Department, said, "We train for conditions like this, so it didn't really hinder us too much. We just make sure we keep water running the entire time, so things don't freeze."

For now, Grant's business is frozen, but he says he is looking to rebuild and get back out on the streets.

"I want to get back up and running and I want to get back out feeding people," said Grant.

No damage estimate has been released. Investigators aren't sure what started the fire in the garage at this time.


UPDATE at 5:30 a.m. Thursday:

A captain of the Marquette Fire Department says crews received a report of a food truck on fire inside the garage just after midnight.

Heavy, thick smoke was seen coming out of the building when officers arrived to the scene.

Crews are still at the building battling hot spots.

Motorists are being asked to avoid the area while cleanup efforts continue.

At this time it is unknown how the fire started. No injuries were reported.

Marquette City Fire, Marquette Township Fire, Chocolay Township Fire, UPHS-Marquette, Marquette City Police, Marquette Department of Public Works, American Red Cross, NMU Public Safety, Semco, and Marquette Board of Light and Power all reported to the scene.


ORIGINAL STORY at 1:40 a.m. Thursday:

A structure fire in the city of Marquette broke out around midnight Wednesday.

The fire was located on the corner of Hawley Street and Presque Isle Avenue inside a warehouse building. The building was heavily damaged, and appears to be a total loss.

Roadways were closed from Harlow to Hawley Street on Presque Isle while crews battled the flames in freezing temperatures.

Heavy smoke was observed coming from the building, and the roof collapsed at approximately 1:00 a.m.

It is unknown if anyone was inside the building at the time, or if there are any injuries.

Marquette City Fire Department was on scene along with Semco, Marquette Board of Light and Power, Marquette City Police, and the NMU Public Safety Department.

This is a developing story. TV6 & FOXUP will provide updates as they become available.