UPDATE: Prosecutors won't seek charges against student who lit poster on fire at Tahquamenon Area Schools

NEWBERRY, Mich. (WLUC) - UPDATE: Wednesday, October 10, 2:20 p.m. - There will be no charges brought against the second grader according to Luce County Prosecutor's Office.

--------------
UPDATE: Monday, October 8, 3:40 p.m. - More information has been released regarding a small fire that caused a school evacuation Monday morning.

The Newberry Fire Department was dispatched to a fire in the hallway of the Tahquamenon Elementary school at approximately 9:24 a.m. Staff and students were evacuated from the school.

Upon arrival, the elementary wing was engulfed in a dense smoke.

Luce County Sheriff's Department officers investigated and it revealed a second-grade student had utilized a cigarette lighter to burn a 4-foot poster board that hung in the elementary hallway.

One victim was treated at Helen Newberry Joy Hospital for respiratory distress as a result of smoke inhalation.

The student who started the fire has been suspended and police report was submitted to the prosecutor's office.

This is a developing story. TV6, FOX UP, UpperMichigansSource.com, and the TV6 & FOX UP mobile app will have the latest details as they are made available.

---------------
Tahquamenon Area Schools will dismiss at 10:30 a.m. Monday morning to clean up after a small fire in the elementary wing.

No injuries were reported. Students were safely evacuated, the district says.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus