Sadowski's preliminary hearing for homicide open murder held

MUNISING, Mich. (WLUC) - Jason Sadowski, the man arrested in connection to a suspicious death in Munising, was in court Tuesday.

Jason Sadowski appears in court for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday, July 9, 2019.

Sadowski’s preliminary exam in Alger County District Court began Tuesday morning with eight witnesses providing testimony.

Sadowski is facing life in prison for the charge of homicide, open murder, in the death of his roommate, Timothy Mozader.

It was revealed in court Tuesday that the victim, 58-year-old Timothy Mozader, was found dead at his Munising Avenue residence with severe trauma to the head and face around 8 p.m. on May 30.

Police interviewed Sadowski at the White Pine Lodge in Christmas the evening of May 30 at midnight. When they spoke to him, he had a cut on his face and hand, as well as swelling on his right hand.

“He did have a scratch on his face, it would be on his right face cheek, going pretty much right from just outside the ear going horizontally to the front where he has his mustache," said Munising City Police Officer, Jon LeGalley.

Sadowski attributed this to an injury he suffered working on a car with the victim the previous day. A coworker who had been with Sadowski all day on May 30 had a different story.

"He was right there beside me,” said David Schmidtman.
"Did you notice any injures to the defendants hands or face,” asked Prosecuting Attorney, Robert Steinhoff.
"Not at that time," said Schmidtman.

Selfies taken earlier in the day didn't show these cuts either.

In his initial interview, Sadowski said that he had arrived home at 4:30 p.m. but never entered the home, going instead to the Falling Rock Cafe and then Family Dollar.

Schmidtman says that he dropped off Sadowski at 3:30 p.m. and a neighbor corroborated that story.

"He was walking towards the alley down Tim Mozader’s driveway," said neighbor, Jill Bougnet.

Surveillance footage from Family Dollar shows Sadowski in the store at 4 p.m.,and the store manager herself said that Sadowski checked out at her lane.

"He came in from that direction,” said Johanna Segerstrom.
“And as he exited, which way did he go?” asked Steinhoff.
"He exited out the same direction,” said Segerstrom.
"Towards M-28, correct?” asked Steinhoff.
"Yes, that is correct," said Segerstrom.

Sadowski was previously arrested for solicitation to commit murder, two counts of torture, two counts of unlawful imprisonment and two counts of assault by strangulation in 2013. He was convicted and sentenced to 40-80 years in prison for those.

After an appeal, Sadowski was granted a retrial. At the retrial, he was acquitted of all charges. Minutes after that retrial, he was arrested again for violating federal law by possessing a firearm as a felon. In 2017, those federal charges were dropped.

Tuesday’s preliminary exam was adjourned pending the results of autopsy and toxicology reports. When results are returned, the courts will scheudule the rest of the preliminary hearing to determine if the case will go to jury trial.

TV6 & FOX UP will have more information as the hearing continues.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus