None injured during Nitric acid spill at RTI Surgical in Marquette

MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - RTI Surgical in Marquette is closed until further notice after a chemical leak in the building Saturday morning around 8 a.m.

The chemical that was spilled, Nitric acid, is used by RTI Surgical in their production.

The Marquette City Fire Department first responded to a call of a Heat Treat Furnace that filled the building with a chemical smell. There was an active chemical leak in the building, which filled parts with an orange plume of smoke, as well as a clear liquid on the floor.

The building was secured and employees were transported to UP Health Systems-Marquette for treatment and release.

Fire Department officials say that no one was injured during the leak and all homes in the surrounding area are safe at this time.

RTI Surgical will remain closed until all chemicals are cleaned up and air quality assurances are done.

The Marquette City Fire Department was assisted by Chocolay Township Fire, Marquette County 131, Marquette Police Department, UPHS 141, Tri- Media Environmental & Engineering, Salvation Army. Marquette Township Fire Department was aiding with EMS coverage for the City during the incident.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus