Fire at National Carbon Technologies building caused by dust in pipes

Published: Sep. 22, 2018 at 9:31 PM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE as of 4:00 a.m. Monday, September 24th.

Forsyth Township police say that the fire was caused by dust in the pipe system. It is believed that chemicals got into the pipes, resulting in a chemical reaction.

The reaction then caused an explosion in the pipes that released sparks onto the roof, where they then ignited.

The roof of the building is heavily damaged, and there is also a large amount of water damage inside.

Authorities say that the plant will be closed until the needed repairs are complete. It is expected that workers will be able to work in other areas of the building during this time.

The flames were extinguished as of 1:00 a.m. Sunday morning.

Investigators say that there were no reported injuries.


Multiple agencies are currently battling a fire at the National Carbon Technologies building at 513 4th Street in Gwinn.

The fire began around 8 p.m., and is believed to be in the roof area. As of 9 p.m., Forsyth Township Fire Department and other crews were still spraying water on the roof area.

Michigan State Police, Sawyer International Airport personnel and other agencies are all assisting on scene.

We do not know the cause at this time, or if there are any injuries.

TV6 will continue to provide updates as they become available.

Latest News

Latest News