Charging Bicycle Sparks Apartment Fire

By  | 

A small fire in a Marquette apartment was quickly put down early Friday morning.

The Marquette Fire Department was dispatched to 340 Whetstone Village apt 3 for a structure fire caused by a charging device for the NiCad battery on an electric powered bicycle.

Other occupants saw flames and smoke. The residents in the apartment used an ABC fire extinguisher to put the fire out as others evacuated the building.

Firefighters arrived and found the fire was out. They then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to remove smoke from the building.

The bicycle and the floor of the apartment sustained some damage. The occupants will be receiving assistance from the Pigs N Heat Fire Relief Fund.

Assisting at the scene were members of the Marquette Fire Department, Marquette Police Department, U.P. Health Systems Marquette, and the Board of Light and Power.