New court dates for Sadowski murder case

MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - Update (7/19): A continuation of Sadowski's preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 26.

Update (7/1): Sadowski's has a preliminary hearing that is scheduled for July 9 at 9:00 a.m.

----------

Update (6/12): Sadowski's next court date is set for June 20 at 11:45 a.m.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 25 at 1:15 p.m.
-----------
Marquette County Prosecutor Matt Wiese offered the assistance of his office to the Alger County Prosecuting Attorney in the case against Jason Sadowski.

The Marquette County Chief Assistant Prosecutor, Andrew Griffin, will be providing Prosecutor Robert Steinhoff trial support.

Sadowski is charged with Homicide, Open Murder in Alger County. He was arrested June 7 after a suspicious death was investigated on May 30. He's currently in the Alger County Jail on a no bond warrant.

In a statement, Weise said, "Prosecutor Steinhoff runs a one attorney office and litigation of a homicide case can be time consuming and complicated. The Marquette County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office previously provided coverage for former Alger County Prosecuting Attorney, Karen Bahrman, during the Thomas Richardson homicide trial. Marquette County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Andrew Griffin will provide trial support for Prosecutor Steinhoff, and my other assistants and myself are willing to provide backup coverage to Mr. Steinhoff on other criminal matters as requested."

Wiese continues, "This is a tragic situation that resulted in the death of another human being, and it is my privilege and honor that my office can assist the citizens of Alger County in seeking justice."

Sadowski was arrested for solicitation to commit murder, two counts of torture, two counts of unlawful imprisonment and two counts of assault by strangulation in 2013. He was convicted and sentenced to 40-80 years in prison.

After an appeal, Sadowski was granted a re-trial. At the re-trial, he was acquitted of all charges. Minutes after the re-trial, he was arrested again for violating federal law by possessing a firearm as a felon.

In 2017, those federal charges were dropped.

Wiese said that a statement he made in 2017 regarding his position on the retrial of Sadowski was still how he felt currently. That statement reads:

"We are disappointed with the outcome of the People v Sadowski case. However, we highly respect the work that the jury did in deliberating this case. Our criminal justice system requires the highest burden of proof, beyond a reasonable doubt. That is our system, and it is the best system in the world to protect the rights of any person accused of a crime. We did not meet our burden, but that does not mean that we did not seek justice. We are proud of the hard work and dedication that former Ishpeming Police Chief, Dan Willey, put into this case, and we appreciate the support of the Women's Center in this case. Most importantly, we support the victims, and their courage to come forward and testify in this case. It was a difficult thing to do. The verdict does not mean this did not happen, it means we were not able to meet our burden and prove our case 'beyond a reasonable doubt.'"