2 bodies found in Ironwood fire, another person missing

IRONWOOD, Mich. (WLUC) - UPDATE 3:45 p.m. Thursday:

According to Ironwood Public Safety Wednesday morning's fire has claimed two lives. One person remains unaccounted for at this time. Three others were hospitalized due to non-life threatening injuries suffered in the blaze.

The investigation is on-going. Ironwood Public Safety is being assisted by the Ironwood Fire Marshal, the Michigan State Police and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

UPDATE 10:25 a.m. Feb. 22:
Investigators recovered a body from inside the building on Wednesday. A second body has been found.
An autopsy is scheduled to determine their identities.

There are at least two persons unaccounted for so far in the investigation.

Fire Marshal’s from Ironwood and The Michigan State Police along with agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are continuing the investigation.

UPDATE 7:30 p.m. Feb. 21:

According to the Ironwood Public Safety Director Gregory Klecker, this fatal fire is considered suspicious. That area is being treated as an active crime scene. Fire officials are combing through the debris to make sure there are no other victims. They are going into the structure to search further on Thursday and federal investigators may be involved.

Ironwood Public Safety Department responded to the structure fire at 102 E. Aurora in downtown Ironwood. Three people were rescued from a second and third floor windows by first responders from Ironwood Public Safety.

Another person was pulled from the scene but pronounced dead at the hospital.

Ironwood was assisted by Hurley, Wisconsin Fire Department, Hurley Police Department, Iron County Sheriff, Gogebic County Sheriff, (and their respective emergency management team), Michigan State Police, Beacon Ambulance, and the Red Cross.

The building included businesses and apartments. Crews are still working on completely extinguishing every area of the structure effected before investigators can confirm any other victims.

The cause of the fire is unknown. The investigation is being handled by Ironwood Public Safety Fire Marshal along with the Michigan State Police Fire Marshal and the Gogebic County Medical Examiner.

Klecker would like to take the workers from Gogebic County victim services, the Red Cross and for donations from local businesses and citizens who have brought refreshments for emergency workers.

This is a developing story. TV6, FOX UP, UpperMichigansSource.com, and the TV6 & FOX UP mobile app will have the latest details as they are made available.


One is dead after the fire broke Wednesday morning in downtown Ironwood. The fire engulfed the building at 102 E Aurora Street housing multiple apartments on top of Chelsi's Corner.

"It was a quick response, our department was here and able to evacuate several individuals," said Chief Gregory Klecker of Ironwood Public Safety. "There were lives saved in this and unfortunately have one fatality right now."

Several agencies were on scene including Hurley fire and police, Ironwood public Safety, MSP, Gogebic and Iron County Sheriff Departments as they continued to control the smoke.

"It’s a mop up operation so we have aerials, that gives us a birds eye view of the area so we are able to target the hot spots a little better without risking collapse in the structures," said Ironwood Fire Marshal Brandon Snyder.

The cause of the fire is still unknown and under a multi-agency investigation.

"This could take several days to draw any conclusions right now," said Klecker.

Due to the amount of smoke the Ironwood Public Schools were dismissed at 9:30 because of air quality concerns.

"My first thought was the whole downtown was on fire because there was that much smoke going on," said Jeff Tadlock, a witness and owner of STEMS Flower Shop.

Nearby businesses and residents also said their water has a brownish tint after Wednesday mornings fire.

"It’s not uncommon that when you are using large amounts of water that you get a little brown discoloration in water," said Klecker.

Officials explained the water is just a cosmetic issue and should return to the correct color once the when the cleanup is complete.

Details regarding the number of people in the building and those injured have not been released.

Officials said the two structures are total losses.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus