UPDATE: Hundreds of inmates hold protest at Kinross Correctional Facility

Published: Sep. 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE: 11:40 p.m. 9/10/2016

The protest of hundreds of prisoners at Kinross Correctional Facility Saturday morning began peaceful but ended with some inmates damaging their housing units.

According to Chris Gautz, the Michigan Department of Corrections Public Information Officer, around 400 prisoners marched peacefully as a form of protest outside the prisoner housing units of Kinross Correctional Facility Saturday morning from 8:50 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

The protest was held to coincide with the 45th annual anniversary of the Attica Correctional Facility riots in upstate New York. Though KCF was the only prison in Michigan that experienced any form of protest this weekend, several other states across the U.S. encountered prisoner protests as well.

The warden and facility staff were able to convince the inmates to return to their housing units after speaking with the leaders of the march.

As the department began its efforts to remove prisoners involved in instigating the protest, some inmates caused damage to their housing unit. According to the Associated Press, some inmates smashed sinks, started a small fire and broke at least one window. 150 prisoners were then transported to other facilities. Gautz did not specify which facilities they were transported to.

There were no injuries to any prisoners or staff during the protest or after.

Kinross Correctional Facility in Kincheloe houses around 1,200 level I and level II prisoners. It is in Chippewa County near Sault Ste. Marie.


Hundreds of inmates held a protest Saturday morning at Kinross Correctional Facility in Kincheloe.

According to Chris Gautz, the Michigan Department of Corrections Public Information Officer, several hundred inmates at KCF marched peaceably around the prison yard around 9:00 a.m. Saturday. They were all brought back inside by officers by early afternoon. Gautz said no one was injured and the protest was peaceful.

As of 5:40 p.m. on Saturday the facility was still under a mobilization. Gautz said this is due to officers still investigating the protest. At this time, there is no information regarding why the prisoners were protesting.