Former Menominee County sergeant in court on sexual assault charges

MENOMINEE, Mich. (WLUC) - The former Menominee County Sheriff's Office sergeant that is accused of sexually assaulting a teenager was in court Tuesday afternoon for a preliminary exam.

Court photo of former Menominee County Sergeant Brian Helfert in February 2020. (WLUC Photo)

The court proceedings for 56-year-old Brian Helfert lasted roughly two and a half hours.

Helfert has been charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct 3rd degree.

"I find that the complainant was 16 years old at the time of the alleged act. I further find that at the time of the alleged act, the defendant was an employee of the Menominee County Sheriff's Department," said Menominee County District Court Judge Robert Jamo.

Judge Jamo found probable cause for each count.

"I would point out that the purpose of a preliminary examination is to determine whether there is probable cause to believe that a crime was committed, and whether there is probable cause to believe that the defendant committed the crime," Judge Jamo said.

The court heard testimony from the Menominee County Sheriff and the victim.

The alleged incidents occurred in November of last year.

According to the victim, Helfert bought him gifts and food. After purchasing the gifts, Helfert then informed the victim that he would have to pay him back.

According to the victim, the repayment involved sexual acts.

Helfert was working as a school resource officer at Menominee High School at the time. He was released from his position in December of 2019.

Helfert was bound over to Menominee County Circuit Court on both charges. His arraignment in circuit court is on March 17 at 9:30 a.m. central time.

TV6 & FOX UP will continue to follow this case as it progresses.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus