Marquette house fire displaces 4 people, kills several pets
MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - A Marquette house near the Northern Michigan University campus has substantial damage after a fire Saturday afternoon.
The Marquette Fire Department responded to a home on the 1800 block of Van Evera Avenue, between Wright and Norwood streets, around 3:00 p.m. because smoke was coming out of the home’s front door.
When firefighters arrived, the house was up in flames. The fire department says the four people who live at the home were not there at the time.
Multiple pets in the home had to go to the vet. The fire department says one cat died, one cat is missing and some pet rats also died.
There’s no word at this time on the cause of the fire.
Another home nearby was damaged externally from the heat.
The Marquette Township Fire Department and Chocolay Township Fire Department assisted at the scene.
All four of the residents were helped by the Pigs-N-Heat Fire Relief Fund.
This story will be updated when more information is available.
Copyright 2023 WLUC. All rights reserved.