Advertisement

Tenant burned in Portage Township fire

The Houghton County Sheriff’s Department responded to a structure fire Tuesday in Portage Township.
The Houghton County Sheriff's Department says a hand-held propane torch was the cause of fire.
The Houghton County Sheriff's Department says a hand-held propane torch was the cause of fire.(WLUC)
Published: Jan. 18, 2022 at 8:21 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PORTAGE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WLUC) - One tenant suffered smoke inhalation and burns to his right arm after a fire Tuesday morning in Portage Township.

Other tenants were safely able to leave the residence at 48368 Jefferson St.

The Houghton County Sheriff’s Department says a handheld propane torch spewed out a large flame. The torch was then dropped and ignited the home’s carpet and surrounding flammable items.

The tenant was able to extinguish most of the flames with a garden hose.

A downstairs living room received water damage from the fire.

Crews were called in around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday. The fire was handled by the Hurontown Fire & Rescue Department.

Copyright 2022 WLUC. All rights reserved.