City of Negaunee announces 2021 street maintenance projects
City Manager Nate Heffron says that 6.7 miles of crack sealing will take place this week, possibly through next week.
NEGAUNEE, Mich. (WLUC) - The City of Negaunee is announcing its 2021 street maintenance projects.
City Manager Nate Heffron says this year’s projects will be smaller than normal.
Heffron reports that the city council will soon be reviewing a major water and sewer project that is slated to begin next year. This project will result in water and sewer main replacements, sidewalk upgrades, and multiple streets being paved.
“We want to wait before we begin any major projects until we determine what finances will be needed to help pay for the proposed of water/sewer project, which includes 5.21 miles of street surface paving,” Heffron said.
Heffron says that 6.7 miles of crack sealing will take place this week, possibly through next week. Crack sealing is the process of placing an adhesive sealant into cracks on the pavement surface, preventing the infiltration of moisture, extending the useful life of the street.
The project was awarded to Fahrner Asphalt Sealers, LLC, in the amount of $45,039.72.
The following streets will be affected:
- Rail St. (Division to Healy)
- Prince St. (Cherry to the ballfield)
- Cherry St. (Brown to Prince)
- North Baldwin (Muskoday to City limits)
- Cliff & N. Tobin (Teal Lake Ave to Arch)
- Ridge St. (Teal Lake Ave to McKenzie)
- Mitchell Ave. (Brown to Hungerford)
- E. Case St. (Teal Lake Ave to Healy)
- Elm St. (Baldwin to Prince)
- Lake St. (Baldwin to Prince)
- Shoreline Dr. (US-41 to culdesac)
- Buffalo Rd. (CR-480 to New Buffalo)
- New Buffalo Rd. (Ann to Buffalo)
- W. Water St. (Teal Lake Ave to US-41)
- Division St. (County Rd to Rail)
- Tracy Mine Rd. (County Rd to dead-end)
- Croix St. (US-41 by Holiday to Baldwin)
- Lexington Blvd. (Camelot to Camelot)
- Camelot Dr. (Prince to Prince)
- Maas St. (Croix to US-41)
- Snow St. (Tobin to Cyr)
- Cyr St. (Snow to Bluff)
- W. Peck St. (Teal Lake Ave to Pioneer)
- W. Peck St. (Kanter to Tobin)
Heffron also reports that some minor repairs will be made on a structural supporting wall on the base of Rock Street and the possible removal and reclassification of a section of Furnace Street may occur.
“All of these repairs are made possible by the residents of Negaunee and their support of the Street Maintenance Millage renewal efforts in 2020, thank you for your continuous support and investment in your community,” Heffron said.
Questions concerning this release may be directed to Heffron at 906-475-7700 ext. 11.
Copyright 2021 WLUC. All rights reserved.