UPDATE: Upper Michigan adds 75 COVID-19 cases, 14 deaths Monday
There are 58 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the U.P., with 13 of those people in the ICU.
MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - Upper Michigan counties reported 75 new cases and 14 new deaths Monday, in two-day totals.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) no longer reports new cases on Sundays, so Monday totals are of cases, deaths and recoveries for both days.
In Upper Michigan, the latest cases, deaths, and recoveries added are as follows (counties listed alphabetically):
- Alger: 1 case
- Baraga: 0 cases, 1 recovery
- Chippewa: 10 cases
- Delta: 2 cases, 1 death
- Dickinson: 12 cases, 112 recoveries
- Gogebic: 0 cases, 5 deaths
- Houghton: 3 cases, 5 deaths, 11 recoveries
- Iron: 5 cases, 39 recoveries
- Keweenaw: 0 cases, 1 death, 1 recovery
- Luce: 0 cases
- Mackinac: 1 case
- Marquette: 24 cases, 1 death
- Menominee: 15 cases, 1 death
- Ontonagon: 1 case, 7 recoveries
- Schoolcraft: 1 case
As of Monday, Dec. 21, at 6:42 p.m. eastern time, there have been a total of 13,893 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Upper Peninsula during this outbreak. Of those, at least 8,927 are considered recovered and 351 have resulted in death. For an ongoing list of confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries in Upper Michigan, click here.
Many Upper Michigan health departments including all cases (confirmed and probable) in recovery totals. This means, recovery totals per county may be higher than the confirmed case totals TV6 & FOX UP report. This is to be expected going forward for all counties.
The seven-day average for positive tests in the U.P. sits at 4.9%. The MI Safe Start Map breaks down testing and case trends by county.
COVID-19 hospitalizations, out of the 10 U.P. hospitals and health systems reporting, show 58 COVID-19 patients in Upper Michigan as of Monday, Dec. 21. Of those, 13 are in the intensive care unit (ICU). The number of patients has remained the same since the last report, Dec. 17, but ICU cases have decreased by two. This data is available through MDHHS and is usually updated each Monday and Thursday. Details are below, listed alphabetically:
- Aspirus Iron River: Zero patients, 13% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ironwood: 1 patient with 1 in ICU, 28% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Keweenaw, Laurium: 2 patients with 1 in ICU, 32% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ontonagon: Zero patients, 0% bed occupancy
- Baraga County Memorial Hospital, L’Anse: 2 patients with zero in ICU, 20% bed occupancy
- Dickinson County Healthcare System, Iron Mountain: 7 patients with 2 in ICU, 51% bed occupancy
- Helen Joy Newberry Hospital: 1 patient with zero in ICU, 24% bed occupancy
- Mackinac Straits Hospital, St. Ignace: Zero patients, 27% bed occupancy
- Munising Memorial Hospital: Zero patients, 14% bed occupancy
- OSF St. Francis Hospital, Escanaba: 5 patients with 2 in ICU, 9% bed occupancy
- Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital, Manistique: 2 patients with zero in ICU, 58% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Bell, Ishpeming: 5 patients with zero in ICU, 56% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Marquette: 20 patients with 5 in ICU, 70% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Portage, Hancock: 3 patients with zero in ICU, 31% bed occupancy
- War Memorial Hospital - Sault Ste. Marie: 10 patients with 2 in ICU, 63% bed occupancy
In Michigan, 4,551 new cases were added Monday, in two-day totals. Along with those cases, 71 deaths were reported. That brings total cases statewide to 463,403, and total deaths to 11,532. Current statewide recoveries are at 284,731. The statewide recovery total is updated each Saturday on the MDHHS website.
Out of the 236,103 diagnostic test results reported to the state from Upper Michigan for the entire coronavirus pandemic, 5.71% percent have come back positive for COVID-19 as of Dec. 21.
For continuing coronavirus coverage from TV6 & FOX UP, visit uppermichiganssource.com/coronavirus.
TV6 & FOX UP aggregates data from the MDHHS and local health departments.
Copyright 2020 WLUC. All rights reserved.