UPDATE: Upper Michigan adds 5 new COVID-19 deaths, 74 new cases Friday
The seven-day average for positive tests in the U.P. sits at 6%.
MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - UPDATE: Upper Michigan counties reported 74 new cases and five new deaths Friday.
In Upper Michigan, the latest cases, deaths, and recoveries added Friday are as follows (counties listed alphabetically):
- Alger: 4 cases
- Baraga: 1 case
- Chippewa: 11 cases, 2 deaths, 87 recoveries
- Delta: 3 cases
- Dickinson: 12 cases, 1 death, 16 recoveries
- Gogebic: 3 cases
- Houghton: 10 cases
- Iron: 3 cases, 7 recoveries
- Keweenaw: 0 cases
- Luce: 0 cases
- Mackinac: 1 case, 1 death
- Marquette: 17 cases
- Menominee: 4 cases
- Ontonagon: 0 cases
- Schoolcraft: 5 cases, 1 death
As of Friday, Dec. 18, at 5:00 p.m. eastern, there have been a total of 13,759 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Upper Peninsula during this outbreak. Of those, at least 8,757 are considered recovered and 337 have resulted in death. For an ongoing list of confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries in Upper Michigan, click here.
Many Upper Michigan health departments including all cases (confirmed and probable) in recovery totals. This means, recovery totals per county may be higher than the confirmed case totals TV6 & FOX UP report. This is to be expected going forward for all counties.
The seven-day average for positive tests in the U.P. sits at 6%. The MI Safe Start Map breaks down testing and case trends by county.
COVID-19 hospitalizations, out of the 10 U.P. hospitals and health systems reporting, show 58 COVID-19 patients in Upper Michigan as of Thursday, Dec. 17. Of those, 15 are in the intensive care unit (ICU). This is practically even with reports Dec. 14, which saw 57 total hospitalizations with 14 ICU patients. This data is available through MDHHS. Hospitalization data below wasn’t updated on the state’s website on Dec. 18. Details are below, listed alphabetically:
- Aspirus Iron River: 1 patient with zero in ICU, 26% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ironwood: 1 patient with 1 in ICU, 31% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Keweenaw, Laurium: 1 patient with 1 in ICU, 16% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ontonagon: Zero patients, 0% bed occupancy
- Baraga County Memorial Hospital, L’Anse: 3 patients with zero in ICU, 27% bed occupancy
- Dickinson County Healthcare System, Iron Mountain: 5 patients with 2 in ICU, 47% bed occupancy
- Helen Joy Newberry Hospital: Zero patients, 6% bed occupancy
- Mackinac Straits Hospital, St. Ignace: Zero patients, 27% bed occupancy
- Munising Memorial Hospital: Zero patients, 14% bed occupancy
- OSF St. Francis Hospital, Escanaba: 5 patients with 2 in ICU, 38% bed occupancy
- Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital, Manistique: 1 patient with zero in ICU, 50% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Bell, Ishpeming: 4 patients with zero in ICU, 44% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Marquette: 24 patients with 9 in ICU, 82% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Portage, Hancock: 5 patients with zero in ICU, 47% bed occupancy
- War Memorial Hospital - Sault Ste. Marie: 8 patients with zero in ICU, 71% bed occupancy
In Michigan, 4,180 new cases were added Friday. Along with those cases, 66 deaths were reported. That brings total cases statewide to 454,956, and total deaths to 11,274. Current statewide recoveries are at 236,369. The statewide recovery total is updated each Saturday on the MDHHS website.
Out of the 232,011 diagnostic test results reported to the state from Upper Michigan for the entire coronavirus pandemic, 5.74% percent have come back positive for COVID-19 as of Dec. 18.
For continuing coronavirus coverage from TV6 & FOX UP, visit uppermichiganssource.com/coronavirus.
TV6 & FOX UP aggregates data from the MDHHS and local health departments.
Copyright 2020 WLUC. All rights reserved.