UPDATE: COVID-19 cases increase by nearly 150 in Upper Michigan Tuesday, state adds 6.3K
Upper Michigan saw a large increase in recoveries reported Tuesday, bringing total U.P. recoveries to more than 5,700.
MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - UPDATE: Upper Michigan added 148 new coronavirus cases Tuesday, while the state reported 6,290 new cases.
Along with those cases, statewide, there were 145 deaths, with five in Upper Michigan. That brings total cases statewide to 320,506, and total deaths to 8,688. Current statewide recoveries are at 152,267. The statewide recovery total is updated each Saturday on the MDHHS website.
In Upper Michigan, the latest cases, deaths, and recoveries added are as follows (counties listed alphabetically):
- Alger: 0 cases
- Baraga: 4 cases
- Chippewa: 10 cases, 2 deaths, 21 recoveries
- Delta: 19 cases, 239 recoveries
- Dickinson: 31 cases, 28 recoveries
- Gogebic: 8 cases
- Houghton: 4 cases
- Iron: 8 cases, 14 recoveries
- Keweenaw: 0 cases
- Luce: 1 case
- Mackinac: 5 cases
- Marquette: 34 cases, 2 deaths, 414 recoveries
- Menominee: 21 cases, 162 recoveries
- Ontonagon: 3 cases, 1 death
- Schoolcraft: (-1 case) (Due to an MDHHS data entry error)
As seen in the list above, a large increase in recoveries were reported from Upper Michigan health departments. Not all health departments report recovery updates daily or weekly, so recoveries for Delta, Marquette and Menominee counties are from a longer timespan than just a day or two.
As of Tuesday, Nov. 24, at 5:45 p.m. eastern, there have been a total of 11,092 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Upper Peninsula during this outbreak. Of those, at least 5,724 are considered recovered and 215 have resulted in death.
The seven-day average for positive tests in the U.P. sits at 16.4%. The MI Safe Start Map breaks down testing and case trends by county.
COVID-19 hospitalizations, out of the 10 U.P. hospitals and health systems reporting, show 96 COVID-19 patients in Upper Michigan as of Monday, Nov. 23. Of those, 27 are in the intensive care unit (ICU). Data wasn’t updated on Nov. 24. This data is available through MDHHS. Details are below, listed alphabetically:
- Aspirus Iron River: 2 patients with zero in ICU, 17% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ironwood: 7 patients with 2 in ICU, 44% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Keweenaw, Laurium: 3 patients with 3 in ICU, 32% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ontonagon: Zero patients, 20% bed occupancy
- Baraga County Memorial Hospital, L’Anse: 5 patients with zero in ICU, 53% bed occupancy
- Dickinson County Healthcare System, Iron Mountain: 7 patients with 4 in ICU, 39% bed occupancy
- Helen Joy Newberry Hospital: 2 patients with zero in ICU, 21% bed occupancy
- Mackinac Straits Hospital, St. Ignace: 1 patient with zero in ICU, 13% bed occupancy
- Munising Memorial Hospital: Zero patients, 21% bed occupancy
- OSF St. Francis Hospital, Escanaba: 13 patients with 4 in ICU, 59% bed occupancy
- Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital, Manistique: Zero patients, 17% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Bell, Ishpeming: 4 patients with zero in ICU, 52% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Marquette: 33 patients with 10 in ICU, 69% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Portage, Hancock: 3 patients with zero in ICU, 85% bed occupancy
- War Memorial Hospital - Sault Ste. Marie: 16 patients with 4 in ICU, 92% bed occupancy
Out of the 195,339 diagnostic test results reported to the state from Upper Michigan for the entire coronavirus pandemic, 5.42% percent have come back positive for COVID-19 as of Nov. 24. Today’s positivity rate represents a decrease from yesterday’s percentage, as Chippewa County data was input incorrectly the day prior.
For continuing coronavirus coverage from TV6 & FOX UP, visit uppermichiganssource.com/coronavirus.
TV6 & FOX UP aggregates data from the MDHHS and local health departments.
Copyright 2020 WLUC. All rights reserved.