UPDATE: COVID-19 cases up more than 170 in Upper Michigan, increase by 7.4K statewide
More than 5% of all diagnostic tests completed in Upper Michigan since the start of the pandemic have come back positive for COVID-19.
MARQUETTE, Mich. (WLUC) - UPDATE: Upper Michigan added 173 coronavirus cases and two new deaths Tuesday, while Michigan reported 7,458 new cases.
The latest cases, deaths, and recoveries added are as follows (counties listed alphabetically):
- Alger: 3 cases
- Baraga: 18 cases
- Chippewa: 11 cases, 11 recoveries
- Delta: 13 cases
- Dickinson: 28 cases, 1 death, 8 recoveries
- Gogebic: 13 cases
- Houghton: 8 cases
- Iron: 9 cases, 25 recoveries
- Keweenaw: 3 cases
- Luce: 0 cases
- Mackinac: 4 cases
- Marquette: 49 cases, 1 death
- Menominee: 11 cases
- Ontonagon: 2 cases
- Schoolcraft: 1 case
As of Tuesday, Nov. 17, at 5:15 p.m. eastern, there have been a total of 9,758 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Upper Peninsula during this outbreak. Of those, at least 4,429 are considered recovered and 188 have resulted in death.
The seven-day average for positive tests in the U.P. sits at 12.1%. The MI Safe Start Map breaks down testing and case trends by county.
COVID-19 hospitalizations, out of the 10 U.P. hospitals and health systems reporting, show 90 COVID-19 patients in Upper Michigan as of Monday, Nov. 16. Of those, 26 are in the intensive care unit (ICU). Data wasn’t updated Nov. 17. This data is available through MDHHS. Details are below, listed alphabetically:
- Aspirus Iron River: 4 patients with zero in ICU, 30% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ironwood: 6 patients with 5 in ICU, 41% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Keweenaw, Laurium: 2 patients with 2 in ICU, 26% bed occupancy
- Aspirus Ontonagon: Zero patients, 30% bed occupancy
- Baraga County Memorial Hospital, L’Anse: 2 patients with zero in ICU, 40% bed occupancy
- Dickinson County Healthcare System, Iron Mountain: 9 patients with 1 in ICU, 49% bed occupancy
- Helen Joy Newberry Hospital: 2 patients with zero in ICU, 18% bed occupancy
- Mackinac Straits Hospital, St. Ignace: Zero patients, 7% bed occupancy
- Munising Memorial Hospital: Zero patients, 29% bed occupancy
- OSF St. Francis Hospital, Escanaba: 10 patients with 4 in ICU, 53% bed occupancy
- Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital, Manistique: 3 patients with zero in ICU, 67% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Bell, Ishpeming: 9 patients with zero in ICU, 60% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Marquette: 34 patients with 11 in ICU, 65% bed occupancy
- UP Health System - Portage, Hancock: 5 patients with zero in ICU, 82% bed occupancy
- War Memorial Hospital - Sault Ste. Marie: 4 patients with 3 in ICU, 51% bed occupancy
Out of the 181,691 diagnostic test results reported to the state from Upper Michigan for the entire coronavirus pandemic, 5.01% percent have come back positive for COVID-19 as of Nov. 17.
As mentioned above Michigan reported 7,458 new cases Nov. 17. So, the state’s total cases are up to 272,034. Statewide, 79 new deaths were reported, with 24 from vital records review. In total, 8,128 people in Michigan have died from complications with the virus. Current statewide recoveries are at 138,862. The statewide recovery total is updated each Saturday on the MDHHS website.
For continuing coronavirus coverage from TV6 & FOX UP, visit uppermichiganssource.com/coronavirus.
Copyright 2020 WLUC. All rights reserved.