House fire in Kingsford

KINGSFORD, Mich. (WLUC) -- Kingsford Public Safety was dispatched by Dickinson County 911 Dispatch to the 500 block of Saratoga St. at 7:50 a.m. for a report of a structure fire with smoke coming from the basement.

KPSD arrived on scene and found that everyone was out of the house. Officers noted smoke emitting from the residence. It was determined that the fire had burned itself out in a utility closet in the basement.

The cause of the fire appeared to from fumes from a can of aerosol expanding foam insulation that was sprayed into a wall between the garage and the utility closet that had a gas hot water heater inside. Due to the closet being closed the flammable fumes from the propellant of the foam made contact with the gas hot water heater pilot light which ignited, causing a flash fire that ignited some combustible material in the room before burning itself out.

KPSD ventilated smoke from the house.

The loss of property was minimal due to the resident being notified of the fire by a smoke detector and the use of a fire extinguisher.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus